Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Filling in the spaces

I have many hours of unstructured time. I work part time which is absolutely wonderful if you can manage it. I run a household, cook, do laundry, shop, walk the dog, watch television, read a ton of books, and daydream.

I have some structure to my life. But not as much as I once did. Once there were small children who needed constant attention. These small children are now larger than I am. They still don’t mind the attention, but they are self-sufficient.

I once had a high stress, high responsibility job. I worked full time and then had call on top of it. That really sucks the time right out of one’s life. The most I ever worked was 20 hours during one 24 hour on call shift. It was a good ting that the travel time back and forth to work was under 15 minutes. All I did was work, drive home, eat, get called back to work – repeat.

But that is long ago and far away. Now I work a few hours a day. I can’t remember the last time I worked even an eight hour shift.

And yet I feel pressured by time. There is so much I would like to be doing and I sit in front of my computer instead. I play stupid games. I surf stupid sites. I waste time. Time – the only truly democratic commodity there is. Each of us gets exactly 24 hours each day to do with as we see fit.

I could be doing something worthwhile. I could be doing something that has an impact on the world or at least my little corner of it. I could do something that broadens my horizons. I could learn something new. I could teach something different.

I play solitaire.

That’s not really all I do. Today I went to water aerobics, then to work, then stopped and picked up Easter basket stuff for the grandchildren, then I did two loads of laundry, cooked dinner, took the dog for a walk, and then I played solitaire. I also read a couple chapters in a book and cleaned up around the house. This is a fairly typical day except I only do laundry once or twice a week.

I have all these spaces of time. I could use them more to my advantage. But is that even really advantageous? Does one have to be busy all the time? Can I spend hours playing solitaire without guilt? It’s not like I’m neglecting responsibilities elsewhere.

I just know I could use the time better. I know it. So I am getting away from this computer. Right now.

2 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet, longchamp pas cher, polo outlet, longchamp outlet, nike air max, replica watches, kate spade outlet, replica watches, ugg boots, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, louboutin pas cher, polo ralph lauren, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin outlet, nike outlet, chanel handbags, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, polo ralph lauren outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, burberry pas cher, oakley sunglasses, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, prada outlet, jordan pas cher, louis vuitton, uggs on sale, tiffany jewelry, prada handbags, gucci handbags, sac longchamp pas cher, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike roshe, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin shoes, nike free run, ray ban sunglasses

8:26 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

replica watches, canada goose, coach outlet, toms shoes, montre pas cher, ugg uk, pandora jewelry, moncler, thomas sabo, louis vuitton, karen millen uk, swarovski, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, links of london, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, ugg pas cher, canada goose outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, marc jacobs, canada goose, doudoune moncler, ugg, moncler, louis vuitton, canada goose, louis vuitton, canada goose outlet, moncler outlet, moncler uk, canada goose uk, hollister, juicy couture outlet, moncler, pandora uk, pandora charms, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, wedding dresses, louis vuitton, canada goose jackets, moncler, swarovski crystal, canada goose outlet, supra shoes

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home