Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Blogging Has Issues

I've tried. Lord knows, I've tried. I tried Yahoo's blog and it was simply not working for me. I have to go back and edit far too often and Yahoo doesn't like that. I can understand. I would like perfection on the first run, too. I don't often get there, but I would like it.

So I created another blog for my Station Shorts here at blogspot. However, not wanting to inundate my readers with messages on a daily basis telling them that I have in fact written another portion of the story, I only send out a reminder about how busy I've been every three days.

So on Wednesday and Saturday I send out a little mailing that has the latest three tales with a brief (very brief) summary of what the story is about. I put them in chronological order in the email reminder. And send a link.

But blogs build up from the base. The newest is always on top, which is great for a normal blog because usually what I wrote about before has no bearing whatsoever on what I'm writing about now.

With fiction, at least the fiction that I'm working with, each story is predicated on the day before. They really make far more sense when read in the order written, which is backwards on a blog.

This was driving me nuts and made it difficult for some people to follow my stories. Something had to be done. I didn't think that blogging was going to change for me and if it did, then this blog would be messed up. I needed another solution.

There was only one that I could come up with. Design my own website and link my stories together one after the other. No backwards stuff. Everything one day after the other. Turn the page, read the next one. Hit next, get the latest one.

And then, I realized that I'm not 'just' a writer of fiction. I'm also a writer of non-fiction. I have a whole book of non-fiction written. Essays written for all 366 days of the year. They are all ready and only need to be formatted into a website.

"This should be easy," I said to myself. Now all I needed to do is get a domain name, create a website, upload the thing, and have everything in order. Easy as pie. It's taken me several days to do this one easy thing.

But I have my own website. And you can go visit it. All you need to do is click on this
link.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home