Thursday, March 12, 2009

Rules

Life is constrained by rules. Life is defined by the rules of society, the laws of nature, and our moral code. Rules can come from the mountaintop engraved on tablets of stone or be fleeting as those set up by a few six-year-olds inventing a game for the afternoon. Rules show us the edges between approved and banned behaviors. 

And yet, pushing the envelope seems to be another rule. Testing the edges, expanding the boundaries. It ticks me off. 

In the last couple months, I've signed up for a couple different writing forums. I love my original forum, MWC. However, there are times when I want to run free without the extra pressure of being one of the bosses, one of the bad guys, one of the enforcers of the rules. I don't mind following the rules, but I hate having to argue with offenders about why there are rules at all.

There are all sorts of rules. On all three forums there are word games. This is not surprising since writers tend to like words. I have been a member of MWC of about one and a half years. I know all the games and all the rules. The other two forums are newer to me. Before I enter into any of the games, I look at the first page to see what the rules are. Then I play within the rules. Doesn't seem so difficult to me.

Not so fast there, cowboy. Apparently it is difficult. Reading the rules and following the rules stifles creativity – I'm told. Not just for these silly games, but for all writing. Over and over again, there are discussions about spelling, grammar, and punctuation. "Why?" is the plaintive cry, "why must I follow the rules?"

Because if you don't, you look like an idiot. Well, I'm not supposed to say that. I'm supposed to couch my response in terms of readability or salability. What it amounts to is this: When you don't write clearly with proper word usage, you look like an idiot.

Simple.

You would think people hoping to make a living at the written word would have some concept about this. You would be wrong. Creativity is seen to trump all. Free expression is seen as high art. Rules are seen as limiting.

What would happen if I followed no rules andsimplytypedeverything here with oUt yous-in the reel wrdz n sch? I suppose you can read that, but why would you want to work so hard? There are sections with people defending their right to misuse to, too, and two because it's two mch ifort too figer witch won is write. And then they go over to the show and tell portion and spout all these rules.

This week, MWC is sponsoring a set of five contests with prizes offered. The prizes are writing software provided by our sponsor, WCCL. We have a bunch of new people signed up so they can enter the contests. That's great. They are even playing on the boards and getting involved in MWC life. That's great. They are playing the word games because they are fun, easy, and not quite as scary as posting writing to be critiqued or to offer some critique on other people's writing. That's great.

They don't seem to have the idea of reading the rules first. It is hard enough to play a game with people scattered all over the globe. The way it can work is if we all follow the rules.

Even more amazing to me are the entries for the contests. The rules are spelled out with great exactitude. Nick sets the parameters. We go over them before they are posted and make sure the rules are correct and complete. Many eyes make sure we are doing the best we can to make sure the playing field is even for all.

When they are posted, there is space for feedback and clarification. We try to answer questions as soon as possible since there is a time limit for the entries. And yet…

People are taking the time to enter the contests without reading and following the rules. Whatever they send in may be brilliant, but it isn't going to win. The rules are the limits; the boundaries. They apply to all. Even the special people. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home