Monday, January 12, 2009

Good Luck; Bad Luck

have been wearing contact lenses for nearly forty years. I've lost a few over the decades, but never enough to justify the cost of insurance on the little buggers. Usually, when I drop one or it leaps to freedom, I manage to relocate it and return it to its proper resting place. Usually; not always.

Over the years I've had various problems with my eyes. I used to be a little bit of a jock and played an inordinate amount of racquetball. I injured myself on a fairly routine basis. I got hit in the eye and eventually developed a cataract. I had surgery for that when I was 39 years old - so it's been a while. 

Since then, I've had various types and kinds of contacts. I am terribly near sighted and even with an implanted lens in one eye, can't read without some visual help. At the time of my surgery, implanted lenses could not correct astigmatism. So I have always also had a contact. Then I can't read with that eye because of the way eyeballs normally work is altered with the surgery. My vision is better than it was pre-op, but it is not perfect. 

So, for the first few years, I had an implant, a contact, and wore reading glasses to read. Lens build-up, I called it. I couldn't read a price tag while shopping unless I got my reading glasses out. I couldn't walk around a mall wearing the reading glasses or I got nauseous. 

Then I got mono-vision contacts and I could read and see distance. Neither one crystal clear, but functional. Then, because others I knew had a great deal of luck with bifocal contacts, I tried that. But only for one eye. Since my surgery eye is odd, they won't work. I was supposed to be able to read with these really expensive contacts. I did this last fall. I have been wearing reading glasses ever since every time I want to read anything. 

Saturday morning, I lost my expensive bifocal contact. It would be cheaper to pay for a new eye exam and go back to mono vision contacts than to replace the expensive contact. I was free of the odious terrible choice. 

I did look all over for the missing piece of plastic. It was gone. My job for today was to call the eye doctor and make an appointment. 

I have never, ever found a contact three days after I lost it. Until today. 

I am still going to get rid of this non-functioning lens, but now I don't feel so pressured. 

I may buy a spare contact this time, just in case. 
And why do I keep losing the right one? If I lost the left one, I have a newer spare and it really doesn't matter, since it isn't as strong a prescription. 

If I knew how, I would put in the little notes here
I can see clearly now .....

When is luck good and when is it bad?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home