Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Rework

I hate to redo something. I hate to think that I'm finished with something and know, deep in my heart, that there is still more to be done.

This is the whole problem with housework. When doing laundry, unless you are naked, there are already dirty clothes piling up. As you vacuum or dust, more stuff is being affected by gravity and settling on the floors and furniture. It is never ending.

Even as we get up from a satisfying meal, the food is beginning to digest and make way for the next satisfying meal – or bowl of ice cream with Velvet Fudge Sauce.

More than just housework needs a second round of spiffing up.

I've written, rewritten, edited, had a second person look at, edited again, and now am reworking and reediting a manuscript.

Ick.

But it needs doing. I hadn't really realized how much my writing grew into itself over the course of 366 essays. Hopefully, as I near the end of the essays, my writing will be more even throughout. However, since I'm still in the first quarter of the essays, I can truthfully say that they need work.

And so I am working.

I'm not particularly liking it, but I'm doing it. Like dusting. Or laundry.

I would be embarrassed to have this original work, the early stuff, see print without being touched up. So I touch up. I've been spending so much time reworking that I've not had much time to work.

I guess that reworking is just part of the work. I hope that as I continue with the reworking portion, I can see how to make it much easier the next time I go over 366 essays. I can see that the format I've set for myself will be maintained throughout the work. That will be a big help.

There is nothing quite like changing your mind halfway through something to make a lot of extra work later. I know that now. I think I even knew that then, but staying "wrong" wouldn't have helped me feel better about he overall quality.

So, I work on making the whole thing "right" and rework some more.

I don't like this.

It's like laundry.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, but doing laundry is the only way our clothes get clean. it is the same with editing.

unless you can convince yourself that messiness is adequate.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home