Sunday, May 18, 2008

Possible Topics

As I sit here and think of things to talk about, I'm struck by a plethora of issues that have crossed my mind this week.

I've been noticing far too many women wearing tops that are completely inappropriate. The new style is made to accentuate boobs and so there is a top that is supposed to have material that is gathered under the breasts. However, some women are either 1) too old and saggy or 2) too fat for the tops they choose. And so the seam with the gathering is not scooped under their boobs, but rather they are looking like bandoliers with stripes across their chests. Do they not have mirrors?

Then there are people who drive like they are the only people on the road. They are either not concentrating on their whereabouts or are just inconsiderate. But they have traffic backed up with people trying to get around them while creating traffic hazards for all concerned. One clod was going 45 mph down Interstate 95 and had all of us at risk due to the one car's idiot driver.

My injured arm is wearing on my patience. I have very little patience to start with and I'm totally at the end of it. I needed a jar opened, there was no one here but one-armed me and it takes two arms to open a jar or far more experience being one handed than I have been able to accumulate. I accosted a perfect stranger who was simply riding his bike down the road, but due to the kindness of strangers, I got my pasta sauce opened. Thank you, stranger. I hope you get some play out of the story, as I have nothing else to offer you.

We went to Sculpture in the South this weekend. There are some very talented people out there who are able to create beautiful art. Some of the pieces were absolutely breathtaking. All of the price tags could suck the air from a large room. There were a couple of large sculptures that had price tags around $50K, but most of the pieces were much more reasonably priced for just a few thousand dollars. I'm not a connoisseur of fine art and I have no desire to dedicate a portion of my house or life to caring for it. But it was very pretty to look at. And the day was perfect as well.

I finally found the book I needed for the book club. I read it, I enjoyed it. It was nothing I would have found on my own. This is the reason I joined a couple book clubs. It paid off. What a fun thing. I had tried to find the book previously. I thought the date for the meeting was last Wednesday, but it turns out that it is this coming Wednesday. So I still had time. So I called one last book store and miraculously, they had just gotten an order in and there was one still unpacked in the back room. They would hold it for me and so I went and picked it up. If I hadn't hurt my arm and been delayed, I wouldn't have been able to find the book at all. Sometimes things just work out.

Aiden was in a musical play at school. It was mostly the kindergarten classes, but the pre-K kids got to perform at the end for a couple songs. Joe has his video camera from when he was really filming stuff. He videoed the presentation. Morgan was thrilled with seeing people she knew up there on the television. It was finally time for the kids to perform and Aiden was up on stage. The kids were spectacular. They had hand and arm movements to go with the songs. Aiden was happy to move his hands, but his lips never moved. The kid next to him wasn't quite settled and when he irritated Aiden, he was given the mean look that immediately made him bug the person on his other side and leave Aiden alone. That look is the best.

I've been working on the fiction stuff trying to figure out where it is going. I never know what's going to happen to my characters until I begin to write. I had solved a problem here and there and had no idea what to do with them next. They somehow figured it out for themselves and I found a new tack to take. I am amazed at the process of writing fiction. When I write non-fiction, I have to stick to certain pre-ordained rules. Not so with the fiction, especially with the premise I'm working with. All in all, I'm learning new stuff all the time.

As I look around, I notice that there are many things I could talk about here. Some days, I feel like there is nothing out there to talk about, but I know that all it takes is fresh eyes. The world is a fascinating place, if you only take the time to see.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love your last paragraph.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home