Thursday, September 11, 2008

Ways to Spend Time

I have lots of time and I need to figure out better ways to spend it. I currently spend an inordinate amount of time playing silly computer games. Hours. And hours. I would never have had this amount of time to waste when I was younger. Mostly because back then I spent an inordinate amount of time playing racquetball.

I spent about 9-10 hours per week at the YMCA where I played the sport and it took about 30 minutes each way, for another three hours per week in travel time. That's 13 hours per week on one activity. I think I spend more time than that right now playing computer games.

I also used to work. I wanted to work 3 eight hour days and actually had to fight to stop being assigned 4 eight hours days. I figured out a way to work 3 six hour days which was the best. I didn't have to work through an unpaid meal break which automatically shortened the day by 30 minutes. So instead of over 9 hours per working day at work, I was only gone slightly more than 6.5 hours per day. That accounted, when I finally got it working for me, for about 20 hours a week wasted on working.

I read a lot of books back then. Some of the medication for my migraines made reading long and in-depth books less appealing. Even so, I never gave up reading even when taking the most disruptive drugs. I also did crossword puzzles. Lots of those.

I no longer play racquetball or work. I've looked into both propositions and neither is working for me at this present location. I still read and do occasional crossword puzzles. What I do is waste way too much time on silly things on the computer. I can actually get upset and have a hard time sleeping because I've been debating (okay, arguing) with people online. People who I have never met and never intend to meet. They have no sway over my real-time life. And I waste all this time and energy with them.

Instead, what I should (isn't that a horrible word – should?) be doing is working on a diet and exercise regimen that will help me lose 15-20 pounds so I can not only fit in my clothes again, but feel better about myself and my health. I should push away from the keyboard and hop on my bike and ride for an hour a day. The weather is no longer stultifying and it would be good for me both physically and mentally. Probably spiritually, too.

I could spend some time that I waste clicking on things here at the computer looking up some healthy recipes. I have chicken, pork, beef, and fish just waiting to be cooked up in some delicious ways. Instead, I will eat potato chips in the late afternoon and then not really be hungry and so slap some food together and call it dinner. But I could and should really change that.

I've been reading fewer books than in past years. I'm not sure why. I think I'm too restless to sit still long enough to really read something. Mostly because I'm too often sitting in front of my computer and when I move to a different room, I'm too tired of sitting all day. So I don't sit still and read. I can't seem to sit still unless I'm in front of the computer.

The computer – that seems to be a central theme to my problems. I could maybe force myself to turn it off, but I actually do write after researching history stuff right here on the computer. I just spend too much time in inconsequential, mind-dulling pursuits. I need a better way to spend my time. It's precious and once it's gone, it's gone.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My regimen: 6:30 to 8 a.m.: workout & breakfast. 8 to 11:30 or 12 writing/researching on the laptop. Twelve: answer emails and go to lunch. After which I pursue any other needs that I must meet for work or play. Sometimes that means the computer and sometimes it doesn't.

It's easy to get back out into the world and into activity; after you take the first step that is. Good luck! I believe in ya.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home